Nurse-Family Partnership® is a relationship-based program that partners highly-trained professional nurses with vulnerable first-time mothers and their babies. The program transforms lives through improved pregnancy outcomes, promotion of child health and development, and the encouragement of economic self-sufficiency for families. PROGRAM APPROACH
Registered nurses visit moms and babies in their homes for over two years. The program is uniquely effective due to the following characteristics:
- Voluntary enrollment of first-time, low-income mothers (an optimal time to promote positive behaviors).
- Long-term program duration (over 2 years).
- Delivery by highly-trained, registered nurses who deliver skilled consultation and mentoring.
- Nurses develop close, trusting relationships with the mother and her child.
- Strengths-based: an emphasis on client’s unique strengths and development of a positive vision and plan for their lives and the lives of their children.
INVEST IN KIDS’ ROLE
Invest in Kids is responsible for the program’s ongoing growth and development, acting as advocate for funding and expansion, and consultant for continuing education and collaboration with program nurses.
- Community planning: ensures that all local communities who have or plan to have Nurse-Family Partnership have the knowledge, skills, and support needed to sustain the program and build strong nursing teams
- Training: ensures that all nurse-home visitors and their supervisors are prepared and supported in delivering Nurse-Family Partnership to diverse communities and families
- Data: helps Nurse-Family Partnership local teams interpret client data for quality improvement
- Advocacy: protects state funding for Nurse-Family Partnership® through education and advocacy
Nurse-Family Partnership is one of the few programs in the country with over 30 years of clinical trials. These trials prove that the program produces long term changes in clients’ lives.
Annual Evaluation Report
The Jacquelyn Wonder Fund
The Jacquelyn Wonder Fund provides financial help for unmet needs experienced by the families being served in the Colorado Nurse-Family Partnership, as well as unmet educational and professional development needs of NFP nurses working in Colorado.
The DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nurses
Invest in Kids is bringing recognition of nursing excellence out of the hospital and into the field, giving Nurse-Family Partnership home visitors the opportunity to be celebrated for the difference they make in the lives of mothers and babies.
Have you seen an NFP nurse in action and been blown away? Want to nominate her for the DAISY Award?